Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Purge


Im in the process of purging my life. 
  •  Purge (perj) adj - to get rid of, remove physically.  An ugly sounding word for something that creates or makes clean or pure.
These next few weeks, I'm purging my room, body (lemonade-cleanse for 10 days), car, social networking (deactivated fb & less IG-ing), clothes, people, 'not-really' friends, everything that is negative is going out the door. 
Things all around me that weigh me down, make me unhappy, or prevent personal progression are being PURGED!
All the rage for the next few weeks:  PURGE

I'm also purging my life because
I'm overwhelmed by social media. 

I had a conversation with some of my very good friends about posting every single aspect of your life w/ pictures.  
For example:
"This is me smiling" "This is me smiling when I woke up" "This is me smiling when I walk out the door" "This is me and my denim pants walking out the door" "This is the door that leads to my house" "This is the house and my family smiling in the house" "This is my...........well............you get the picture. 

Why is the world socially needy?!


At what point did we start living through pictures and status' of ourselves and our lives. When did "likes" and "thumbs up" become our validations to show everyone how perfect our lives are. It's silly really. We compete to have the best, look the best, live the best.......ALL THROUGH IG PICTURES OR FB/TWITTER STATUS'. 

Documenting every single second of your life will start to lose meaning to all the really-important, incredibly-special moments. When there is finally a post, picture, status, or something that's incredibly important, it just gets lost in an entire compilation of ALL your 20 daily "incredibly-amazingly-important" things posted.  That special documented moment loses half it's significance because it's overshadowed by 50 other "this is so special" unimportant ones posted. Yes small moments do count, but maybe every single smooch, hug, smile, or whatever doesn't always have to be documented for the entire world...........every single day. 
***I do love little kid/baby pics though. No doubt when I have little mini-me's I'll be posting their chubby little faces all over my world***

Overexposure.
It's not just for the Kardashians anymore
It's how our current society adapts to a never-ending need for "acceptance" and "popularity". 
OUT goes meaningful personality and face-to-face confrontation and IN with virtual comments and the most "likes". That is what wins the popularity race nowadays. 

I probably won't win the popularity parade with this post, and I'll have a few people asking, "Who is she talking about?". Truth be told, I'm not talking about anyone specifically. Just in general because I'm tired of everything lately. So I'm purging it all. 


In closing:
I've been rebuilding my life for a while now.  (hence: purging)
I post things on FB and IG too. 
But not everyday. Because I don't do super fun interesting things everyday, so I'd rather not make everyone think I do. I have a great life. And I have lots of downs too. I post a bit of both because it makes me feel more human and more in touch with reality. 

I don't know what my reputation is with people, nor do I care as much as before.

Most of the people I spent time at work with, am in some way related to, knew in some way, or care about how I "looked" to them, ended up talking about me or treating me a different way when they thought my reputation was tarnished because they hear things about me (and seeing "other" people), or talked about me when I went crazy during my down 2 years.  I don't care for a lot of people. And a lot of people seemed to be nicer to me or write to me on FB when they need help with FA applications, interviews or passes, but didn't hear from them at all when I had a meltdown or struggled to get back on my feet or really just needed a reprieve from life.

Bottom line:


9 comments:

  1. I 100% agree with you on this one!...not that you needed my social acceptance right? lol but really some people share every second of their life and try to make it look so perfect or try to portray something it isn't, but I don't think every second of life needs to be shared. Sometimes you need to live in the moment and and let that moment pass without sharing it with anyone...just store it in you memory, it's more special that way. I'm personally against the "daily selfies" that some people do on instagram...i've actually unfollowed some people for that specific reason. anyways good luck with "the purge"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooooooovvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddd this sister. Exactly what I needed to hear! Let us commence the PURGE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nea, when i get back we're definitely going out, doesn't even need to be fancy shmancy! I feel the same way too, it began when I'd roll my eyes at couples PDA-ing all the time....and 5 years later i gotta deal with seeing it online & on my phone now too, eeeeeh. YOU KNOW WHO I BE TALKING ABOUT! I've unfollowed or denied a lot of ppl on instag. love you lots new! you're strong & livin the dream right now, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg Nea..realistic and sincere!! Love it!!:) Its what everyone in their right minds are thinking of doing just can't make the changes they need to to get there. You wanna know something funny?..I'll tell you anyways lol..even people who don't know you talk about you..for me its easier to disregard just coz their opinions of you don't matter coz they have no meaningful connection to you whatsoever..but for those who do know us to judge us is hurtful because they should be the ones who know our characters better..or so we think right? Its totally disheartening but oh well..just toss them off your ship of happy coz the next voyage should cause you to SURGE

    Origin:
    1480–90; perhaps < Latin surgere to spring up, arise, stand up

    Noun
    A sudden powerful forward or upward movement, esp. by a crowd or by a natural force such as the tide: "flooding caused by tidal surges".

    So you do what you gotta do and power up that NATURAL FORCE and know that I'm in the ship next to yours if you ever need a tug or tow and vice versa aye;)

    Love you lots..Darsh:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get it! I don't understand selfies. I get a good hair day or cute outfit but EVERYDAY?! I hope you're not sick and tired of my Instagram posts! I know you love the pictures of Raya and Aaron! and I know there are a lot of food shots but I LOVE seeing food. I'm such a dork!

    I totally need to PURGE my Facebook too!

    Keep up that positive attitude and let me know when that potluck is!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Nea :) Been thinking the same thing lately so I haven't been updating my FB unless it's something worth updating. Besides nothing REALLY exciting EVER goes on in my life. Hahaha. Thanks for this post! Time to purge my Twitter account cause I swear people be updating that ish every minute, worse den FB! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yessss!!! I'm sorry I haven't been on your blog lately to post comments, but this is so true, we all gotta purge. You got this!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL that last poster had me cracking up!! my thoughts exactly :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The thing I love about blogging is that you come across blogs like yours. I don't know you personally, but I can gather from your blog posts that you are an amazing person. This is something I so desperately needed to read... I've been tired of everything lately also, and I may need to do just THIS - PURGE all the negative things in my life including the social networking sites that I'm on. I find I spend too much time posting every aspect of my life, that I've lost the beauty of important moments that used to get me so hyped up and excited. This was beautifully written, with so much sincerity and genuine emotion. For this, I thank you... A wake up call I desperately needed.

    Keep up the writing... TOTES AMAZING. Inspiring and uplifting.

    ReplyDelete